Monday 19 September 2011

Do you like the occasional flutter?

Had a chat with a regular visitor on Friday for about an hour. One of the things that we discussed was gambling. He said he liked the 'occasional flutter', which I gathered was a little more regular than he was actually admitting to. He said that he didn't see why that was going to condemn him. I said that in effect he is worshipping or trusting in the 'God of luck'. He is giving his money in the hope it will grow to 'chance'. I have been a follower of Jesus (often a very hard to recognize one) for 11 years now. Before I began this journey I had no concern other than myself, and that was very apparent. I used my income to buy drinks and drugs for friends - to keep them. I used drink and drugs to make life interesting. I had the occasional flutter too. Though I had a massive income - I worked at Sky News - I never had anything to show for it at the end of the month. 11 Years of this journey I am married, have two beautiful children, a safe, strong community of friends who truly, regularly, lay down their lives for others and a house which I have not paid for. Things are not perfect but I can genuinely see improvements happening in my life and in the life of others. I explained this to the gentleman. I also explained that when you invest in the 'God of luck' you are in effect turning away from the living God. He can bring the increase. Any turning away is walking into death itself - it is walking towards the thing that you most hate, it is walking towards the bits about you that you don't like. God is really loving. He doesn't stop us from walking away, but he implores us to turn back - regularly, through grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment