Tuesday 5 April 2011

A horrible experience

On Sunday after church I went to play touch rugby on Millwall with some of the men I met in the cafe on Friday. It was really nice to run a bit again, but I was aware of how unfit I have become. I played for an hour and a half and then made some excuses to leave. Then we as a family went to Wagamama for mothers day. When we got home things started to go wrong. For about 10 years I have been getting these funny feelings after strenuous exercise - something which some years ago quack in Harrow prescribed me heart burn pills. Well it was so extreme on this occasion that I called an ambulance. I got ECG'd and the medics rushed me to Royal London Hospital. While I was being checked out I flatlined for 20 seconds. The decision was made to send me to Barts Cardiac unit. I was so scared. I cannot tell you how awful were those 20 seconds, or the hours that followed. It has happened before, but ignorance is bliss - I guess seeing the ECG give a flatline while it is connected to you makes the reality more awful. I blacked out. The following morning, after a gruelling night in Barts I was operated on. It is a really strange course of events. I cannot say how grateful I am to the NHS staff that looked after me. From the ambulance crew to the Surgeons at Barts - the treatment was without fault, and with incredible dignity and consideration. I am so grateful for the staff of Royal London and their concern and quick thinking. I also have an increased gratitude for today, for my family and friends.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're ok! Just keep the exercise moderate and often. And don't be shy to go to the Emergency Room if you feel something funny - they take chest pain very seriously.

    Keep well,
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Hylton. Glad you are still with us. The other day I felt chestpains while in the shower. It was also after strenuous exersize (playing squash). When we got to the hospital the pain had subsided, and I spent the whole day at hospital waiting for test results. Turns out it was some stomach problem. Anycase, glad I did go to the hospital - I could also have had the same episode as you!

    Take care Belliboep!
    Martin

    ReplyDelete