Thursday 3 April 2014

I don't work - ever!

Last week was an extraordinary week in that I was mostly out of CafĂ© Forever. On Tuesday mornings Tom works with a group called Ambassadors Football that has started a dad's football team with Cubitt Town Junior School. Although my children attend another nearby school I am a kind of proxy dad to many of the kids at Cubitt Town (maybe poxy). Last year Tom asked me if I wanted to join them for a tournament - they needed a goal keeper. Having never played goal keeper before and having not played football in 30 years I agreed. Needless to say our first tournament wasn't any form of domination by us. However I did save a number of goals and wasn't all that bad. On Thursday we had another tournament and it went really a lot better. We lost 3, drew 3 and won 1. They still allow me to be goalie. It is a lot of fun and I spend most of my time begging for mercy. It is in my mind so far the best cross cultural work I have been involved in - the relationships build really fast and the players are very mixed nationalities and faiths.

Pharoah means 'Great House'
what could this be?
About 6 years ago Alan Black organised a visit to the British Museum to find artifacts that relate to the bible with Day One and I enjoyed it so much that I had booked another visit - on Friday we met up with a man called Ian Cooper who provided the tour. I cannot say how highly I recommend it. Stunning depth to your bible knowledge. He started off by talking about a Frenchman called Layard who was one of the first serious Archaeologists; it seems as though with the advent of evolutionist theory a drive began to search for archaeological evidence to support the bible stories. Layard dug up Nineveh after his bible interest in it. He dug up some huge winged lion bird sculpture things and the interior of his palace walls, carved in stone, the details of the battle for Lachish. He then showed us some sculptures of various pharoahs and gave us some details on them. The one picture is 3 figureheads of one - in all likelihood the one who interacted with Joseph. Big ears and a small mouth indicate somebody who had to do a lot of listening to counsel of others and not a lot of eating - he also had 7 years of famine and 7 years of abundance. We also heard about Hatshepsut who was probably the daughter of Pharoah who 'drew out' Moses from the water. It is a really amazing tour - we even got to see this Gold and Lapis-Lazuli sculpture of an amazing story in the bible, the one where Abraham goes up a mountain to sacrifice his son and finds a ram in a thicket. It is thousands of years old, from Ur of the Chaldeans. A beautiful piece of art and history. Book a tour with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment