Tuesday 1 October 2013

Abject poverty

Don't be fooled
I regularly go into Canary Wharf as part of my work. One of the things that has struck me today is a small children's 'nursery'. I put it into inverted commas because I don't know what we are thinking these days. A nursery is supposed to be a place where something small can develop safely with all the required nourishments. The place I am thinking about is at the bottom of a massive tower, in the heart of Canary Wharf. Now I am sure that the staff are all very good and friendly to the children and that they have lots of lovely books to read and songs to sing - it amazes me how resourceful we can be. But what ABJECT POVERTY! There is a grass green synthetic mat laid out on the ground along with about 4 small green plastic bushes. The space has a small number of toys and gadgets for the children to play with. I feel like crying. Why is it that we think we can live without nature? It is so sad! God has made such beautiful things, so soft and safe and gentle, and we think that by building a city of concrete and glass we are making good! Sure, there is order, just like in the garden of eden - BUT there is no garden! We have ripped up the good, God made earth and created an awful eyesore. As the natural green spaces disappear I am sure we will evolve mentally and spiritually. I am concerned about the welfare of London! Oh for a little African dirt. Africa, your poor cities, in your poverty, are many ways far wealthier than London. Please pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment