Friday 3 May 2013

When extroverts introvert

So following on from my previous post, the extrovert thing. I am an extrovert, I love the company of people, as is a huge majority of the population of the world (this I gather from my own experience of the world and taking a quick glance at Wikipedia). There is a time though, when every one of us needs time alone - time to gather our thoughts, time to sit and listen to the noises that are around us without making noise of our own. I had a rough time in South Africa because I didn't get some time alone, and I like to be alone to get my head straight. I also like to be alone with my family - outside influences can be good, help us to develop - but if we never get a chance to talk about those outside influences we can never really appreciate their impact. Working at Caé Forever is a fantastic job and I love meeting people and learning from them or aiding them in some way - I think we all do. But in a job like this, when I get home in the evening I then look after my children and by the time they're in bed, there's a gaping hole in my life, a need for silence; and my beloved wife is at the end of the line too!
We need to do the most important things first and not leave them 'til last - otherwise the last things end up in a competittion of sorts - just something I am becoming aware of. Since returning from South Africa we have made our sitting room into a quiet place by removing the TV from the centre of attention and I have taken numerous runs/walks around the Island and the farm in the early hours - listening to birds sing among other things. And then I come home and I am about ready to read a short passage from the bible - my personal guide book.

I have added to the pile of TO-DO's in my life as well - I have enrolled at Birmingham Theological Seminary - the place where Tom studied. They have an online certificate available and I am really enjoying it. You can find it at www.thirdmill.org.

Otford Manor 03
Otford Manor
 As for future plans -  well this weekend is our annual weekend away and we are going to Oak Hall in Otford for the first time. We will be taking about 80 people. Jolly, Edward and I are responsible for the BBQ tonight. It will be good to get out in the country and hang out with our friends.

At Café Forever things are going well, although there are always interesting stories. The other day an elderly man came into the café, and ordered some crisps - I could see he was a homeless chap, and dishevelled, seriously. I tried to get into a conversation with him but he was not able to communicate anything intelligible - kept mumbling about Hackney, 1933 and Hitler. He wandered around here during the day and by the evening he hadn't gone anywhere and I did not want him to get hurt so I called social services who called an ambulance for him.
With the arrival of the sun we have started putting tables and chairs outside in an attempt to attract passing trade - to make us more visible, and also to encourage people to stay and sit in the sun. It is a wonderful time to be in London and what a joy to have the sun back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment